Sethu Bandha / Setu Bandha Sarvangasana/ Uttana Mayurasana / Dwi Pada Pitham
also called Bridge Pose.
Persons who can't do this pose:
Recent or chronic injury to the knees, shoulders or back except under supervision of experienced teacher
1. Lye on the mat with your back to the ground.
2. Draw your toes inwards towards the hips.
3. Your feet should be parallel to one another.
4. Knees shouldn't be pointing outwards.
5. Now lift yourself up with your stomach moving towards the ceiling together with your spine, thighs and hip.
6. Chin and torso should be locked.
7. You can keep your hands or engage in supporting your back. You can also clasp them below your back and extend. Inhale while moving up, maintain, exhale while coming downagain. Breathe normally in the event you are holding the pose for long.
Removes Osteoarthritis Problems(Monakalu moole savidiruvike) ; back/spine strength; removes the strain on the neck caused by the other various movements of Sarvangasana. A healthy and flexible spine that indicates a healthy nervous system.(then man is said to be sound in mind and body)
Builds core and lower body strength, lengthens and strengthens the spine, energizes the body, and stimulates the endocrine and nervous systems.
Stretches the chest, neck, and spine
Calms the brain and helps alleviate stress and mild depression
Stimulates abdominal organs, lungs, and thyroid
Rejuvenates tired legs
Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
Relieves menstrual discomfort when done supported
Reduces anxiety, fatigue, backache, headache, and insomnia
Therapeutic for asthma, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, and sinusitis
Modification & Variations:
Bridge Pose Modification: Use a yoga block under the hips to support your weight.
Bridge Pose Variations: Interlace the hands together behind your back, walk the shoulders in and press down with the arms and shoulders.
Before this yoga pose: You can perform vinyasa yoga by starting with any of the following asana before going to the sethu bandhasana:
Supine Bound Angle, Belly Twist, Half Shoulderstand.
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
After this yoga pose, perform below asanas to move with vinyasa yoga:
Wind Relieving pose, Joyful Baby, Plow, Shoulderstand.
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
Eka Pada Setu Bandha Sarvangasana